The European Union has provided 5.9 Billion Shillings to the United Nations High Commission for Refugees-UNHCR to support Congolese refugees living in Uganda.
In a joint statement released on Friday by the European Union Humanitarian aid department said the funds will facilitate UNHCR to support the reception and registration of 60,000 Congolese refugees in Transit and Reception Centres before their relocation to the settlements.
Matthew Crentsil, the UNHCR representative in Uganda said that the funds will also save lives by addressing the critical needs of thousands of Congolese refugees fleeing war and violence in Eastern DRC.
According to UNHCR, more refugees are still fleeing to Uganda through the districts of Kisoro to Nyakabande holding center and Kanungu district to Matanda holding center following fighting between the Armed Forces of Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC) soldiers and the March 23Movement (M23) rebels in North Kivu province.
Uganda so far hosts about 87,567 Congolese refugees in Nakivale, Rwamwanja, Kyaka II, and Kyangwali Settlement.
Since 2021, the European Union has provided 14.4 Million Euros to support refugees in Uganda.
Currently, Uganda hosts more than one million refugees and asylum seekers mainly from South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo-DRC.
Meanwhile, on Friday, fighting between M23 and FARDC and a militia coalition broke out in Bishusha Groupement, Rutshuru territory. FARDC and the militia coalition used heavy and light weapons to shell M23 positions in the area.
The fighting left two civilians dead, according to locals and Lieutenant-Colonel Guillaume Njike Kaiko, the FARDC Spokesman for North Kivu province.
Later on Friday evening, M23 military Spokesperson, Major Willy Ngoma claimed that M23 captured Bishusha Groupement.